Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A NIGHT AT THE MOVIES TIMES FOUR

Arriving at the Multiplex, Sheila spotted Jean-Paul standing near the ticket booth, hands buried in his jean pockets. Walking slowly towards him she noted his cool dressing style with a short leather jacket worn collar up and jeans that hugged in the right places.As she approached she saw traces of white powder on the jacket sleeves.

"Bad dandruff problem?" she asked, her voice flirtatious, brushing some of the powder away with her hand.

He greeted her with a broad smile that displayed perfectly white teeth.

"Oh mon Dieu! Pastry flour! That is one of the bad things when one is a baker," he responded, his voice a mix of concern and embarrassment. "You sometimes take the work home with you!"

They both laughed as Sheila helped him brush the flour off his jacket sleeves, noting the firm muscles beneath.

"Don't stop now," Jean-Paul laughed, taking her hand into his.

She felt her face get warm, an indication that she was blushing. His deep blue eyes seemed to penetrate her soul, seemingly amused at his ability to unnerve her. She reacted by quickly removing her hand.

"I make you nervous, yes?" he asked, his voice expressing genuine puzzlement. "It was not what I desired."

"Just want to clean the flour off my hands," Sheila quickly jumped in, rubbing her hands together and blowing on the palms. She felt embarrassed and frantically searched for something to say to defuse the uncomfortable situation.

"Wow – almost time to go in," was the best she could come up with. Glancing down at his hands, she recalled how warm and soft they felt covering hers.

"I bought tickets for us," he said holding them up and then quickly returned his hands into his pockets, "to save time. Is okay with you?"

"You didn't have to. I mean – you didn't have to pay for the two of us… I'll pay half…"

She could see by the surprised expression on his face that this was the wrong thing to say.

"I ask you to accompany me so it is I who should pay. No?" his voice taking on a slight edge. The silence between them that lasted ten seconds but felt like an eternity ended suddenly with the mention of her name.

"Sheila Fraser as I live and breathe. Haven't seen you in must be…"

"…a long time," Sheila added, thankful that someone interrupted the awkwardness. "What in the world are you doing here? I heard you were living in Georgia!"

"I was but we d-i-v-o-r-c-e-d last year and I figured there was probably more a-c-t-i-o-n back here, if you get my drift. Who is this delightful guy standin' by your side?"

"Jean-Paul – this is my friend, Moliz. We went to school together…"

"…a long time ago," her friend Moliz laughed. "Jean-Paul. Isn't that a f-r-e-n-c-h name?"

"That is because I was born in France," he answered. "Have you ever visited France?"

"Honey – the closest I ever got to anything French was when Billy Joe Stuckey stuck his tongue down my throat at the Tuckerville picnic. As if that wasn't bad enough, the j-e-r-k had just finished competing in the garlic eating competition."

"Too much information! Moliz was our school spelling champion for four years running," Sheila added. "Um…we better go in now. The movie is going to start in 5 minutes."

"We really gotta get together, girl. Wanna do lunch tomorrow – and bring along Jean-Pauly here."

"Why don't I call you," Sheila said grabbing Jean-Paul's arm leading him into the theatre.

"I have a wonderful idea. Why don't we all of us meet at my bakery tomorrow for croissants and coffee? There are a few tables and we can get to know each other better," Jean-Paul suggested, handing Moliz a card. "Should we say…ten o'clock?"

"You own a bakery, JP honey? How lucky can you get, Sheila? All that delicious french pastry if you get my drift. I just can't wait to taste those – um – whad'ya call them – cross-ants?"

"And I shall make many varieties. Good bye sweet lady."

"Oh you charmer! Au reev-are! I learned that in French class along with…"

"Good bye, Moliz."

"I am looking forward to our breakfast tomorrow," Jean-Paul said, lifting her hand and gently kissing it.

"I think I've died and gone to heaven!" Moliz responded before disappearing into the crowd again.

"She is a funny person, your friend, Moliz! I like funny people!"

"She's…just…the best," Sheila said. This evening was definitely not going as she had hoped.

There wasn't much conversation between them as they waited for the movie to start.

"I will go get us some popcorn" Jean-Paul said, standing up.

She felt a poke in her shoulder.

"Go figure that I would meet you two here! I mean, what are the chances?"

"Yeah. What are the chances, huh?" Sheila repeated, glaring at Estelle.

"Me and Rhoda here just had to see this movie. Didn't we Rhoda?"

"Yeah… I guess so," Estelle's friend Rhoda said, a puzzled look on her face.

"So? What's new? Hey – two empty seats! D'ya mind if we sit next to you guys? Scoot on in Rhoda! Who's buying the popcorn? I like mine with butter."

Sheila had not counted on a date-for-four on their first outing together.


http://sitesoweb.com/

1 comment:

Rhoda said...

this was a hoot!!!

BTW I like mine with butter too...and if you don't mind I'd like to feel those bulging muscles too.

This is coming along nicely. can't wait for more!!

~R