Sunday, June 28, 2009

A NIGHT OUT AT THE MOVIES - NOT!

"Such a coincidence meeting you two!" Estelle exclaimed, making herself comfortable in the empty seat next to Jean-Paul. "I've been dying to see this movie for a long time."

"Would that it could be arranged…"

"Sorry?" Estelle commented at Sheila's remark.

"I meant, of course, isn't everyone? Even more of a fluke since the film is playing in theatres all across town, and you just happen to pick this one! Will coincidences never cease?" Sheila added sarcastically.

"Go figure!" Estelle laughed, shrugging her shoulders.

"But Estelle – you phoned me twenty minutes ago from this theatre begging me to meet you. Remember?" Rhoda suggested.

"Didn't somebody offer to get popcorn? Estelle asked, attempting to diffuse an increasingly uncomfortable situation. "I like mine with lots of butter."

"Me too. Even though it makes my fingers yucky. I can't stand the feel of grease on my hands!" Rhoda said, staring at her hands and rubbing them together.

"Oh I wouldn't knock grease. It does have a place in the right situation," Estelle said, throwing her head back and laughing, while staring brazenly at Jean-Paul.

"Now that we've settled the popcorn issue. Just a drink for me, Jean-Paul," Sheila offered. "No ice."

There was limited conversation between them while they waited for Jean-Paul's return.

"It got great reviews," Estelle remarked, clearing her throat nervously. "Did you read that, too, Rhoda?"

"I heard that too," Rhoda agreed. "Yup – great review…"

"Full theatre," Estelle continued, glancing around. "Hey - isn't that Al over there?"

"I can't tell. Maybe."

"You forgot your glasses again, didn't you, Rhoda?"

"Duh, I can see a big screen without them," Rhoda answered sarcastically.

"It is Al and that's Moliz with him," Estelle said. "Shoot! He's coming over here. Pretend you don't see him."

"I'm not pretending. I can't," Rhoda answered. "Why? You broke off with him last year."

"Just do it, okay?"

"Hello there, ladies!" a well-built male wearing an Australian outback hat stopped at their aisle. "Haven't seen you since…"

"…a long time," Estelle quickly jumped in. "Time does fly when you're having fun. Still broadcasting the oldies-but-goodies on the radio?"

"That I am, m'dear. Of all people to meet. D'ya still have that Australian whip I gave you? Remember when we…"

"…so, are you alone?" Estelle jumped in quickly.

"I'm here with Moliz. You remember Moliz?"

"We met her before. Who's that seated on her right?" Estelle asked, stretching her neck to get a good look and waving at Moliz.

"Me and Sharky are sharin' her tonight."

"Not surprised. Moliz always did believe in the more, the merrier."

"Hey-hey! We're just friends out for a nice evenin' at the movies," Al winked in response to the remark. "Better get back over there. Don't wanna give Sharky an unfair advantage. Why don't you give me a ring and we can re-live old times? We were always good together."

"Look at that! The movie is gonna start in two minutes! Always an experience seeing you, Al!"

As they watched him make his way back to his seat, Jean-Paul returned, his arms filled with their popcorn and drinks.

"Sorry to take so long but there was a long line up," Jean-Paul said, as Sheila stood up and grabbed a container of popcorn and drink.

"Here – let me help you with that," Estelle offered taking two boxes of popcorn and handing one to Rhoda. "You do have such…manly hands, Jean-Paul. So strong yet so smooth to the touch."

Estelle rubbed her hand across Jean-Paul's palm and he didn't make any move to remove his hand.

Sheila found herself unable to focus on the screen and instead watched Estelle at the corner of her eye. She debated whether or not she should take a chance and make a move to hold Jean-Paul's hand and as she gently reached over, she saw Estelle holding Jean-Paul's right hand.

"Just looking for a napkin," Sheila stammered, taken aback with Estelle's brazen forwardness.

"Here – I have some extras," Rhoda stretched and handed them to Sheila. "A person can't have enough napkins when you eat buttered popcorn."

Anger seethed through Sheila's body and then her eyes welled up with tears.

"Um…you know, Jean Paul – I suddenly have this terrible migraine. Whenever I get one, the best thing to do is to go home and sleep it off," Sheila said while sniffing and wiping her now dripping nose with the back of her hand.

"I know where you're coming from. Of course we understand. Go back to the apartment and nurse your migraine, sweety. We can manage on our own, can't we Jean-Paul?" Estelle said, excitedly.

"I am very sorry for you, that you have a headache," Jean-Paul responded removing his hand from Estelle's, genuine concern in his voice. "Don't forget our breakfast with Moliz. You will be there, yes?"

Estelle had a triumphant look of a conqueror as Jean-Paul waited for a response.

"Count on it. Of course I'll be there – wouldn't miss it for the world! See you back at the apartment, Estelle?"

"I hope you feel better," Rhoda said, stuffing her mouth full of popcorn.

As she walked back to the apartment, she realized that she and Estelle could be sharing more than just a place to live.


http://sitesoweb.com/

5 comments:

Al In Oz said...

Share! with Sharky! Moi? When I buy a chocolate-coated ice cream, or date a Moliz. I share with no man (or woman)

Incidentally, you can keep the stockwhip.

Savannahgrace said...

I love this ongoing saga. Sheila really needs to keep her eye on Estelle!

There Al goes again being cantankerous. You have to watch those cantankerous Ozzies.

Speaking of Al, where's my ice cream? I'll bet Sharky got it.

Savannahgrace said...

I love this ongoing saga. You have to remind Sheila that she really needs to keep an eye on Estelle. Something's amiss there.

Speaking of Al, he's being the fickle Ozzie again. Now, I know what happened to my ice cream!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi Ellie. Shanda here. Haven't had a computer for months. Glad to find your blog. How do you manage to do conversations so well? I can't even speak through a puppet. :) You have a great imagination. See you again soon and also read from some of the members I'm familar with. (I rented a c/p).

Your longtime writing friend,
Shanda