Saturday, February 21, 2009

A SWEET MEETING AT THE BAKERY

"Don't you just love croissants?" Estelle asked, aware that there was a definite attraction between her friend and Jean-Paul. "I mean - everyone loves croissants. I know I do!"

"You have beautiful eyes," Sheila said, staring at the stranger accross the counter, her voice barely audible. "I've never seen such a deep shade of aqua...like the water in the Bahamas."

A loud masculine laugh broke their silence as Jean-Paul threw his head back, obviously enjoying the moment.

"Oh mon Dieu! You are so amusant!" he commented, reaching over the counter to touch the top of Sheila's hand. "I have never visited this place you speak, but you, ma cherie, have the soul of a poet!"

Unprepared for his compliment, Sheila felt her cheeks get warm and she licked her lips nervously.

"I mean to say... That is...the water in the Bahamas is so beautiful - and blue..."

"Why don't you quit while you're ahead?" Estelle said, through clenched teeth and a forced smile on her lips. "My friend here isn't used to compliments from men, are you sweety? You know french men - always with the compliments, right Jean-Paul? Don't I know it!"

Aware that her friend was upset, Sheila pulled her hand away from his and removed it from the counter.

"So many delicious things to choose from. I love chocolate but those eclaires look so tempting. Help me, Estelle!"

"You seem to be doing well on your own," Estelle laughed. "Okay. Give us a half-dozen plain croissants and six of the almond. Oh and a french bread."

"What about you, cherie? Don't you want something good, too?" Jean-Paul asked, a bemused expression on his face. "If you want I can make some suggestions.

"Jean-Paul is very good at suggestions. He's a very creative guy," Estelle offered, a smirk at the corner of her lips.

"Is - how you say - the cat eat your tongue?" Jean-Paul asked, bending over the counter his face directly in front of Sheila's.

"That would be 'cat got your tongue,' Sheila gently corrected, chuckling. "I just can't make up my mind!"

"I shall do it for you!" Jean-Paul said. "That is - if you want. I am the master when it comes to pastries."

"And a lot of other things," Estelle added. "Please help her so we can go home and have breakfast?"

Turning around, Jean-Paul studied the pastry displayed on the counters.

"Well...we could try a bichon au citron or eclair. I think, for you, the eclair. Firm on the outside hiding a soft sweet whipped cream center in the middle. You agree, yes?" Jean-Paul said, sliding an eclair out of the refrigerator and gently moving it to a small box.

"How much do I owe you?" Sheila asked, staring down at the box to hide her embarrassment.

"Will you please tell us how much we owe you, JP, or I'm gonna starve to death!" Estelle said, grabbing the boxes of croissants and pastry box.

"Today, I shall give you a gift, my friend," Jean-Paul said while staring at Sheila. "It will cost you nothing. I am happy."

"Happy today, happy tomorrow - let's go home! I'm ravenous!" Estelle jumped in. "By the way, JP, are you gonna be at Beth Ellen and Brian's cocktail party, tomorrow night?"

"I was invited, oui. I was not going to go but perhaps if you - and your friend here - will be there, I will change my mind. You will be there, yes?" he asked, his eyes always on Sheila.

"I'm not sure. I don't know anyone in town yet," Sheila answered, thinking how few fancy dresses she owned. Sitting at home watching hockey didn't require an extensive wardrobe expense.

"Of course she's going! Aren't you, Sheila? You have to start meeting people socially! Yes, wel'll both be there!" Estelle answered for them both.

"Good! You have made me a happy guy! A bientot," he responded, moving away from them to serve the now long line of customers.

"I can't come to your cocktail party," Sheila told Estelle. "You go without me. I'll spend a quiet night watching TV."

"Not on your life! You left Hal to start again. This is as good a time as any, girl!"

"But...I don't have the right clothes," Sheila protested.

"I'll lend you something from mine. Listen - we're going and that's that! Right now let's go back and eat."

Driving back to Estelle's apartment, Sheila kept thinking about Jean-Paul's deep-blue eyes and Jean-Paul in general. Fate had stepped in and now she was about to embark on her new life. Glancing at Estelle as she raved on about all Jean-Paul's assets, she realized that her new friendship could put their friendship at risk. It was, she decided, a risk worth taking.

Sites O Web Romances You... is a love, romance, and relationship resource offering relationship advice, romantic inspiration, romantic gifts, and much more. http://www.sitesoweb.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ellie - Very nicely done. I like the idea that Jean-Paul owns a pastry shop. You can have all kinds of sexual innuendo with whipped cream...er, I mean pastries. Keep up the good work and we'll look forward to the next installment. - Don

Rhoda said...

"Firm on the outside hiding a soft sweet whipped cream center in the middle."

of course thats how he sees her...very clever.

I found myself reading JP's parts with an accent. Thats how good you bring his accent out.

great job!